THE SHINING BY STEPHEN KING

 THE SHINING- STEPHEN KING

05/03/20


Just a disclaimer: On the day of posting this, I have not seen the movie of "The Shining", I knew limited information about it so I have nothing to really compare it to, unlike a lot of books I have previously read where I've seen the films first. That being said, I was slightly disappointed, only because the only thing I knew about it, was that there are twins in a hallway at a hotel and it's really creepy in the film, or something of that extent. But in the book the only mention of the twins is that  used to live there and they got killed. Maybe in the film this is where the creepy bit is? Not sure but anyway, I thought the scary parts were going to involve the girls. I had a surprise with that though. The scary parts were truly terrifying and I can only imagine what they'd be like on a screen.

The book has quite a slow start but it's good because it gives you a really insight to the characters (past and present) and a good background and structure for the book. When things happen later on, everything links up so cleverly. So stay reading because it gets very interesting.

It's fun learning about the history of the hotel, people that worked there and customers, even if it's fake history, it's still great to learn. It adds a bit of depth to the hotel which in turn, creates a more scary illusion. This is very helpful as it's a book not a film, so it's harder to make it scary.

What I found the best was learning each of the main characters little personality traits. It helped build the suspense for the ending and made it more creepy.

Happy reading!
Lotte :) xxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO KILL YOUR FAMILY BY BELLA MACKIE

CAN'T WAIT TO READ IN 2023!

TOMORROW WILL BE A GOOD DAY BY CAPTAIN TOM MOORE