A LITTLE IN LOVE BY SUSAN FLETCHER

 A LITTLE IN LOVE - SUSAN FLETCHER

08/06/20


Les Misérables holds a very special place in my heart and this story just adds to the love I hold for it. Obviously it is not written by Victor Hugo but I love the extra added backstory it paints for Eponine as in the musical, she's not actually in it that much. She sort of, pops in every so often and does her little bits. And you don't see much of her life. But this story helps you picture more of what she went through.

In the theatre world, people always disagree on Cosette. Most say that she's a wet character and had it easy. But I think this book really shows the other side of things before Jean Valjean took her from the Thenardier's. I think people forget about their mistreating of her.

There's a quote in this book which I think is beautiful and sums Eponine up really and it's actually from the original book too.

"Et puis, tenez, Monsieur Marius, je crois que j'étais un peu amoureuse de vous".
Google it!

SMALL SPOILER
I don't know how true this book stays to the actual book of Les Misérables, but when the family are on the run to Paris and they sail away in the boat leaving Gavroche behind... Well it broke my heart really. Obviously I know that they will be reunited at the barricades but still. It's all very tragic really. Something else I'm not sure if it's different from the original book but certainly from the musical is Madame Thenardier's death. In the musical, the Thenardier's live through the revolution and go to Cosette and Marius' wedding. It's an interesting take and I like the difference to the show. And if the original book of Les Mis is like this too, then it's even darker than I originally knew!

Happy reading!
Lotte :) xxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO KILL YOUR FAMILY BY BELLA MACKIE

CAN'T WAIT TO READ IN 2023!

TOMORROW WILL BE A GOOD DAY BY CAPTAIN TOM MOORE